11.14.2005

Sweet 16

Sixteen years ago today, probably right about this time, I met one of my best friends in the world. First he was a crush, next abusive demigod, then reluctant buddy, then a distant acquaintance, THEN we finally became friends. [For anyone thinking "When Harry Met Sally", don't!]

I keep trying to figure out exactly what I can say about Tom in a short and sweet entry and there just isn't anything that comes to mind. I used to glibly state that he was "the love of my life and the bane of my existence." I haven't had any romantic feelings for him for well over a decade, but I still don't know what I'd do without him in my life. We never talk on the phone, and I'm lucky if I see him once a year. We email nearly every day - rarely anything serious or specific, just the random flotsam of our day-to-day lives.

He introduced me to one of my best friends, helps keep me relatively grounded, took me to an Ohio State game and listened to me sob my way through heartbreak.

I don't know what, if anything, I bring to his life but I'd be lost without him. Here's to another decade and a half of friendship.

No comments: