11.28.2005

The final sprint

I always feel like the stretch between Thanksgiving and New Year's is a sprint to the finish. Something to tolerate and muddle my way through. There never seem to be enough hours in the day, I never know what to buy as presents for people for Christmakah/Chrismukkah, I have no idea what I want for myself. It's all just a mess.

I don't know why but it always takes me half of December to wrap my brain around the notion that it's nearly Christmas. There's just so much going on in the 35 days between Thanksgiving and New Year's: Turkey Day, my cousin's birthday, Hanukkah/Chanukah, Christmas, birthday, New Year's Eve and countless other occasions that I'm undoubtedly forgetting.

How do you force yourself to swing into the season? I remember having trouble with this last year, too. Is it shopping? Listening to holiday music? I'm sure getting off my butt and finally buying my plane ticket to Ohio would make things seem a little more real but right now I'm just not buying it.

Any ideas? I need suggestions to get into the spirit of things. Decorating? Holiday music? The lighting of the National Christmas Tree is this Thursday, I think. And the Scottish Christmas Walk is Saturday. Help me!

1 comment:

MelyssaF said...

Watching the "Charlie Brown Christmas", Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph usually help me to feel like I'm in the season. And I have to say I get a HUGE grin on my face the first time I hear Adam Sandler's Chanuka song. :) (As opposed to the scowl I had on my face the weekend before Thanksgiving when they were already playing Xmas songs in the department stores...)